Porto Cálem was founded in 1859 by António Alves Cálem. In 1859 Cálem was dedicated to export wine to Brazil and importing exotic wood from Brazil using its own fleet. Porto Cálem stayed a family business for four generations before it became a part of Sogevinus in 1998, a group of port wine producers, Kopke, Barros, Burmester and Cálem.
Cálem is located just across the street from the Douro river in Vila de Nova Gaia.
The big vats used for ruby and the smaller casks for tawnys.