The story of Taylor’s starts with Job Bearsley arriving in Porto in 1692, he was initially in the red wine trade. Job first born son Peter would also come to live in Porto and so did Peters three sons Bartholomew, Charles and Francis. Francis Bearsley outlived all his brothers and remained a partner in the Oporto house for 61 years from 1744 until his death in 1805.
After Francis’ death there was no suitable family members to run the business and those who tried failed and had to give in. In 1808, as Napoleon advanced in his war, it was clear that all property was better to not be on British hand, in the interest of preserving it.
A American descented from Turkey, John Camo would take over ownership and run the company from 1808 to 1812 where his largest challenges was getting shipments of port to Britain despite the war raging.
Joseph Taylor, who had already been in the London part of the business for a long while, took over the lead of company, he became sole owner in 1826. In 1835 he looked for successors and had Morgan Yeatman, a wine trader from Britain and John Fladgate a son of a contact in sight to run the company. John moved to Oporto in 1836 and signed the contact with the new company name in 1838 with Morgan Yeatman. Taylor Fladgate & Yeatman. John focused on the wine making and Morgan on the business.
The rest of the story is even longer and should be read on Taylor’s own website
The collection of old bottles that you will see at every port house.